Choosing the Correct Verb Tense

Choosing the Correct Verb Tense

1. Does Tense = Time ?
    Not Always
2. Situation and Time Words determine Time
3. Time chooses Tense (not the other way around)
4. Present Time (Now)
    Present Continuous Tense
    I am eating my dinner right now.
    Present Tense for “non-action” verbs
    I want some chocolate ice cream.
5. Future Time
    Future with “will”
    I will leave tomorrow
    Future with “be going to”
    I am going to leave tomorrow.
    Future Continuous tense
    I will be leaving tomorrow.
    Future with Present Continuous tense
    I am leaving tomorrow
    Future with Present tense
    I leave tomorrow.
6. Past Time
    Facts: Use Simple Past Tense only
    I ate my breakfast at 7:00 this morning.
    Relationship between two times.
    I had eaten my breakfast when my roommate left.
    Relationship between events.
    I was eating my breakfast when the telephone rang.

0 comments:

Post a Comment