Present Perfect Simple

Present Perfect Simple

Present Perfect Tense can be used in three situations:

1. To indicate something that has happened at an indefinite time in the past.
I have seen that movie already.
She has left for California.
They have not eaten their dinner yet.
2. To indicate something which started in the
past and continues until now.
I have lived in New York for nine years.
We have been here since Friday.
He has played football since he was a child.
3. To indicate something which occurred recently.
I have been sick lately.
She hasn’t slept much recently.

Notes:
When speaking about a specific time, use past tense.
A: I have seen that movie already. (Non-specific time)
B: Oh really? When did you see it?  
A: I saw it last week with Bob. (Specific time)
Some words should not be used in situation 2 (above)
I have met John for five years. (INCORRECT)
I have known John for five years. (CORRECT)
I met John five years ago. (CORRECT)
I have met John already. (CORRECT)
Sometimes, but not always, present perfect continuous can be used instead of present perfect.
I have lived there for ten years. (Okay)
I have been living there for ten years. (Okay)
I have exercised a lot recently. (Okay)
I have been exercising a lot recently. (Okay)
I have seen that movie ten times. (Okay)
I have been seeing that movie ten times. (NOT Okay)

0 comments:

Post a Comment