Past Progressive / Continuous

Past Progressive / Continuous

Past progressive tense is used to indicate that an action was in progress when another action occurred in the past.
Past progressive (was/were + Ving) refers to the action in progress, and simple past tense refers to the "interrupting" action.
    While I was eating dinner, the telephone rang. The telephone rang while I was eating dinner.
    When the telephone rang, I was eating dinner.
    I was eating dinner when the telephone rang.
Past continuous can also be used to indicate only one action which occurred in the past:
    What was John doing yesterday? He was working at the factory.
    What were they doing yesterday afternoon?
    They were playing soccer.
    What were you doing last night?
    I was studying English.

0 comments:

Post a Comment